St. Louis, MO 63139
PHONE: (314) 669-6525
Specialties include: depression, anxiety, anger, stress, grief and loss, substance and behavioral addiction, Trauma and PTSD (trauma in general, sexual trauma in particular, traumatic grief, chronic illness, chronic pain, generational trauma, infertility), Personal growth (life transition, cultural adjustment, self-confidence, racial identity), Relationship (family, martial and premarital, peer).
Therapies Modalities: Compassion Focused, Schema Therapy, Somatic, Embodied, Positive Psychology, Relational Life Therapy, Developmental Model of Couple Therapy.
Do you wonder, sometimes lying on the bed at the mid hour of night, that life could be different: maybe lighter, with a little bit more hope; and your pounding heart can slow down and feel some peace; when you look out, you can smile and sense trust?
Is there part of you that want to embark on a journey of healing and growth, to build nourishing relationships with your own self, with others, and with the life at large, to lay the foundation for a life of meaning and joy?
We don’t have to fight the battle of survival alone. We don’t have to carry the burden of suffering for our whole life and to the next generation. Wherever you are in life, it is possible to reach for support, for change, for the longings that live deep in your heart.
I facilitate understanding and transformation of intrapsychic complexes and interpersonal patterns with embodied and here-and-now interpersonal approaches that integrate attachment theory, developmental theory, neurobiology of trauma response and healing, and the power of self-awareness, self-compassion, and neuroplasticity.
I held a PhD in Neuroscience from University of Pennsylvania and a MEd in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from University of Missouri-St. Louis. I am a Certified Facilitator of Embodied Transformation and a Licensed Professional Counselor in MO.
Resource for Wellbeing
Getting to know yourself
Take the Enneagram test here to find out your type
Build a Strong Peaceful Courageous Core
- Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness, by Rick Hanson Ph.D and Forrest Hanson, 2020
- Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life, by Thich Nhat Hanh, 1992
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach (Author), Russell Munson (Photographer), 2014
Self-Acceptance and Self-Compassion
- Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha, by Tara Brach, 2004
- Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN, by Tara Brach, 202
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself, by Dr. Kristin Neff, 2015
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are, by Brené Brown, 2010
The Nurturing we need as a child
- Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive: 10th Anniversary Edition, by Daniel J. Siegel and Mary Hartzell, 2013
- The New Peoplemaking, by Virginia Satir, 1988 Understanding and Healing from Childhood
- Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving: A Guide and Map for Recovering from Childhood, by Pete Walker, 2013
- The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self, by Alice Miller, 2008 Challenges and Hopes in Relationship
- Boundaries: Where You End and I Begin – How to Recognize and Set Healthy Boundaries, by Anne Katherine, 1994
- Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives, by Pia Mellody, Andrea Wells Miller, J. Keith Miller, 2003
- Disarming the Narcissist: Surviving and Thriving with the Self-Absorbed, by Wendy T. Behary MSW LCSW 2013 and 2021
- Tell Me No Lies: How to Stop Lying to Your Partner-and Yourself-in the Four Stages of Marriage, by Ellyn Bader Ph.D., Peter T. Pearson Ph.D., Judith D. Schwartz, 2001
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life, by Marhsall B. Rosenberg, 2015
Courage to face and heal from trauma
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk M.D. | Sep 8, 2015
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma, by Peter A. Levine, 1997
- Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior and Feel Great Again, by Jeffrey E. Young, Janet S. Klosko, 1994
- My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and
Bodies, by Resmaa Menakem, 2017
- The Wild Edge of Sorrow: Rituals of Renewal and the Sacred Work of Grief, by Francis Weller, 2015
ONLINE RESOURCES ON MEDITATION AND WELLBEING:
SAINT LOUIS MEDITATION RESOURCES:
EMBODIED PRACTICE FOR SELF-DISCOVERY:
- Soul Dance (donation based community dance)
Soul Dance is an invitation to dance the essence of your soul, in this human body. We gather in community through Zoom to tune in to the truth of our soul, the body’s way. We move to feel, we move to heal, we move to know ourselves and honor all that is. Meet Last Sunday of each month. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org // 847-975-2972
- Latin Dance & Embodied Sensuality
Join Emily Wehrman from your own dance space at home and reconnect with your embodied sensual expression and your dancing! https://www.emilywehrman.com/