Transgender – Inclusive Services
The Student Health Services benefit plan provides psychotherapy coverage for gender identity and associated co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses. The benefits are the same as any other outpatient mental health service.
- Student Assistance Program (SAP) provides all enrolled students and their immediate family members limited, free-of-charge family therapy without referral.
The Plan provides coverage for continuous hormone replacement therapy. The covered person must meet all the following eligibility qualifications for hormone replacement (in addition to the plan’s overall eligibility requirements as reviewed in this plan document):
- A mental health screening and/or assessment from a qualified mental health professional.
- Age 18 years or older for hormones to change physical characteristics;
- Demonstrable knowledge of what hormones medically can and cannot do and their social benefits and risks; and
- Initial hormone therapy must be preceded by: a documented real-life experience (living as the other gender) of at least three months prior to the administration of hormones; or a period of psychotherapy of a duration specified by the mental health professional after the initial evaluation, with a minimum of three months.
If the covered person is eligible for benefits, the benefits are provided the same as any other eligible drug as describe in this plan.
Laboratory testing to monitor the safety of continuous hormone therapy. If the covered person is eligible for benefits, the benefits are the same as any other outpatient diagnostic service on the plan.